Sam Charles named finalist – 2019 FDM EveryWoman in Technology Awards
The finalists for the ninth annual FDM everywoman in Technology Awards, in association with The Tech She Can Charter, have just been announced. Taking place to celebrate International Women’s Day, the awards are a timely reminder that only 15% of people working in STEM roles in the UK are female and just 5% of leadership positions in the tech industry are held by women.
We’re honoured to announce that our Director, Sam Charles, is a finalist in the Digital Star category. The category is sponsored by CGI, and is awarded to a woman who is excelling in a digital role. This could include innovative digital content, social media, web development or developing online solutions.
Everything you need to know about the awards…
The 2019 awards programme’s rally cry is “Achieve, Elevate and Inspire” and this year’s finalists, whilst diverse in many ways, all have something in common – they do just that. With so many talented women and men committed to being role models for positive change, this year, the awards shine the spotlight on 50 of the most talented individuals from the tech industry, from the UK and internationally.
Focusing on the entire length and breadth of the tech talent pipeline, finalists range from the “ones to watch” who are under the age of 16 and already inspiring other children to study STEM subjects, to young apprentices, women in academia, tech entrepreneurs and male agents of change.
Digital Star Award finalists
On behalf of the judging panel, Maxine Benson MBE, Co-Founder of everywoman, comments: “The judges were united in their admiration and respect for the achievement of this year’s finalists. Without question, each of them has the ability to inspire more women and girls into a career in technology. Research by PWC shows that there could be a £180billion boost to UK GDP just by increasing female employment rates**. This shows just how valuable female talent is and why this awards programme is so important in ensuring that more women enter the industry.
- Kar Lok Chan, Technical Architecture Manager, Accenture, from London
- Samantha Charles, Director, Float Digital, from Falmouth, Cornwall
- Melissa Dunn, Head of Digital Product Development, Sainsbury’s Argos, from London
- Rebecca Ellul, Head of Strategy & Business Development, Digital & Tech Policy, Department of Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, from London
- Monique Ho, Innovation Exchange Lead, BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, from London
- Esther Kieft, former Product Owner at Lloyds Banking Group, from London
The other FDM everywoman categories
The 2019 FDM everywoman in Technology Awards finalists are as follows:
For a full list of names, please visit www.everywoman.com/techawards.
|• One to Watch Award – sponsored by Computacenter – awarded to a girl aged 11-16 who is actively encouraging girls to study STEM subjects. Finalists include school students attending Clacton County High School in Essex, Mt St Michael Secondary School in Ireland, Bishop Gilpin in Wimbledon and Harris Academy in Bermondsey||
• International Inspiration Award – awarded to an individual based outside the UK, male or female. Finalists include the Head of Research and Development at AbleGamers in West Virginia, the Founder of KizCode in Turkey and the Biofuels CIO and Ethics and Compliance Leader at BP in São Paulo
|• Apprentice Award – Finalists include young talent from Northumbrian Water, Deloitte and CGI||
• Entrepreneur Award – sponsored by IBM iX. The finalists are the Founders of Pivigo, Techsixtyfour, Recordsure and Blukudu
|• Rising Star Award – sponsored by T-Systems. Awarded to a woman aged under 26. This year’s finalists are employees of PwC, Whitbread and the Founder of Code Camp||
• Innovator Award – sponsored by Equiniti. Finalists include women from Experian, American Express, and the Founders of Earthmiles and Akoni
|• Digital Star Award – sponsored by CGI. This year’s finalists are employees of Sainsbury’s Argos, BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, formerly Lloyds Banking Group, Accenture, Float Digital and the Department for Digital Culture, Media & Sport||
• Leader Award – sponsored by BP – Finalists this year are from Vodafone Group Services UK, Oliver Wyman, Oracle, Accenture, Experian and IBM
|• Software Engineer Award – sponsored by NatWest. Finalists include the Founder of Trik and Software Engineers from American Express, PwC and Lloyds Banking Group||• Team Leader Award – sponsored by American Express. This year’s finalists are from CGI, Barclays, Leeds Beckett University, Experian, Tata Consultancy Services and Deloitte|
|• Academic Award – sponsored by Lloyds Banking. Awarded to a woman in academia who has made an outstanding contribution to technology and science. Finalists include two Readers from the University of Bath and the Head of Design and Technology at Ashlawn School||
• Male Agent of Change Award – sponsored by VMWare. Awarded to a male agent of change for his commitment to championing women working in tech. Finalists are from Imperial College London, PwC, BP and Accenture
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony in London on 6 March.
For further information and to book your place, contact email@example.com.
Reaching your business goals is easy with Float Digital
Ready to see your sales sky-rocket and your web traffic soar? Get in touch...
Float Digital Marketing Ltd
📞 +44 (0) 1637 260 319
Float Digital is a fast-growing and multi-award-winning Search Marketing agency in Cornwall. We partner with the world's most exciting brands to deliver jargon-free Search Marketing campaigns.